Top 5 Family Skiing Holiday Spots
With the winter ski season upon us, we’re taking a look at the top five skiing hot spots for family friendly fun.
- Wengen – Bernese Oberland, Switzerland – this is a charming little traffic-free village which makes it even safer for kids. The locals are very welcoming and friendly, making this a long-term favourite ski resort for Brits. Wengen is in the Jungfrau region and the lift pass covers both the Grindewald slopes and the slopes of nearby Murren. The village of Wengen is on a lofty shelf above the Lauterbrunnen valley and can only be reached by cog railway – which is sure to add to the excitement for the kids. With a great nursery slope right in the village centre, the little ones are sure to love skiing here. There are two kindergartens in Wengen, both of which will look after British children (as young as six months). With a great ice rink and a cinema that shows English films, this is a great place for the kids to learn to ski.
- Peisey-Vallandry in France offers a small ski area that’s connected to the huge ski region of Paradiski. The resort is a combination of three small villages with two modern ski centres and accommodates families and holidaymakers looking for a relaxed stay. The two ski centres boast excellent ski facilities and the three local chairlifts will take the family up into the ski area. The ski area itself features a total of 29 ski runs which encompass all difficulty levels. Accommodation is in chalets and holiday homes, with everything you need for a great, care-free holiday close at hand.
- Morillon – Grand Massif, France is a Savoyard village that has one the French government’s coveted “Famille Plus” label for its excellent facilities for children. The aptly named “village des enfants” will take care of children from the age of six months up to ten years of age. With a wealth of entertainment, including dog sledding, torch-lit ski descents and ice skating, the whole family will be spoilt for choice and you’ll not hear the kids complain of being bored!
- Nassfeld – Carinthia in Austria offers accommodation in Kinderhotels – a chain of family friendly hotels throughout Austria. Kinderhotel Hubertshof boasts an entertainments team who will take care of the kids and show them a brilliant time while Mum and Dad chill out now and again. This family run hotel has both indoor and outdoor pools (so don’t forget your swimming gear) and free shuttle to the ski areas. The hotel’s spa, sauna and beauty treatments are available year round for a welcome pampering session for the adults. The Kids’ Club has a separate teen area, pony rides, sports courts and ski school. There’s even a climbing wall for the more adventurous members of the family.
- Andalo/Paganella in Italy is a family friendly ski resort with a free children’s play park full of inflatables. That will get the little ones bouncing and laughing right from the start of your holiday. The Andalo base station offers plenty of opportunities for the kids to practice before moving on to the higher slopes. There’s an adventure course and tubing slope to wow the kids even more. Ski kindergarten is designed to make sure the kids learn the basics without any tears and there are dedicated children’s ski lifts. A wave ride and tubing slope makes this a must visit resort for all the family.