Did you know that more than a quarter of all dinners eaten every night in the UK contain no meat or fish? Vegetarianism is on the rise and, with so many health benefits going along with the diet, it’s no surprise that more and more families are choosing to ditch the meat.
If you’re interested in cutting down on meat or cutting it out completely, here are some reasons why it’s great along with five of our favourite kid-friendly veggie recipes.
Why should your family go vegetarian?
Vegetarian diets are rich in fibre, antioxidants, and other beneficial nutrients that are naturally low in saturated fats and cholesterol, which is great for reducing your chance of heart disease, obesity, cancer, and hypertension. Most food-borne illnesses such as bacteria and toxins are also found in meat and fish rather than vegetables so a vegetarian diet can keep those tummies safer. A veggie diet is also much better for the environment!
Kid-friendly Veggie Recipes
- Veggie burgers – Kids love burgers so treating them to a veggie version is a great way to introduce more veg into their diet without being too disruptive! Veggie burgers come in all shapes and sizes, from bean burgers to meat-style soy burgers which should fool even the sharpest of meat-eaters. If you fancy making your own, here are some great vegetarian and vegan recipes.
- Muffin tin chilli pots – For a dinner that’s just as fun as it is healthy and tasty, try this BBC Good Food chilli pots recipe. All you need is store-bought tortilla wraps, kidney beans, and chopped tomatoes – a great quick option for after-school meals.
- Veggie pizza – Another super easy option, loads of ready made pizzas are already vegetarian so no cooking required! If you’d rather make your own, this is a super colourful veggie pizza recipe that little ones are bound to love.
- Veggie shepherds pie – As the colder months draw closer, we all start craving comforting homely food to warm us up. If your family loves a shepherds pie, this vegan version by Jamie Oliver is just as tasty and twice as healthy.
- Cheesy cauliflower dippers – Do your little ones love chicken nuggets? Surprise them with this delicious meat-free version from superhealthykids.com. Easy to make and oh-so moreish, these dippers are bound to become a snack staple in no time.